Sunday, December 16, 2012

Insight

At first I thought to write about what just about everyone else is writing about: the causes of the shootings in Connecticut. About gun control, the 2nd Amendment, the issues surrounding mental illness in the US. But then... Because those topics have been pretty well covered and beat to death, I thought nah... that wouldn't honor the memories of the children & adults who died. As I was cruising through my Facebook feed, and other internet news sites for any further developments, it dawned on me. I feel lost. Helpless. Exactly how those parents must feel, and those other teachers who couldn't help more children. I feel like I should be DOING something.

What can I do to help?

Then it hit me as I was dispatching my police units & fire crews to a domestic disturbance tonight. I AM doing the very thing I can do to be helpful. I don't know if/when I would ever get a terrible call that someone is shooting up a school, or the hospital, or... you get the picture. THIS is the exact thing I am trained to do, and do well, to hopefully save some lives. When I was getting information from the distraught woman tonight, talking to her in a calm voice, and at the same time giving info to my crews to keep everyone safe, I realized that IF that awful call should ever come, I'd want someone like me in the drivers seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment