Thursday, August 6, 2009

School Daze & the Janitorially Challenged



So... August. Summer is almost over (for most of the US), and my babies are going back to school soon. Part of me is doing a jig of glee...!!! Finally. They can be doing something ELSE other than watching tv, playing video games, swimming, annoying each other & annoying me.

But. Part of me is.. down. I sent them to their dad so they can get a full school year there. I have to stay put, and can't move with them yet, because well... everyone knows the job market collapse. I can't quit this job without another one waiting. So in the interest of ease & continuity for them, I sent them ahead. It's not a bad thing... last year the older 2 changed schools 3 times, and it reflected in their grades. So... I have to be responsible & do the right thing for them even though it's killing me. Gods... I remember this feeling when I got deployed & had to leave them... It doesn't get any easier. On the bright side; at least I know I'm not going halfway around the world, and it's a relatively easy drive to see them.

In other news: Do you ever have those days at work when you could quit & walk out? I had that yesterday. But it was a relatively minor thing, so I don't know why I reacted so strongly. Long story short, because I work nights I get shafted with all the jobs no one else wants to do during the day because it's "busier" during the day. True, it is. BUT. There are 2 people in the Comm Center during the day, and there's only moi at night. So, I got shafted softly yesterday by my stupidvisor who calmly suggested that I should also sweep the floors every night. See? Relatively minor. But I BLEW!!!!! Why in the hell is it that I get the shitty jobs no one else wants to do? Basically I'm the janitor. NO WHERE on my job description does it say "janitorial duties". Getting landed with all the inane computer updates that aren't hard it's just "busy work" didn't bother me. Being the ONLY one who takes out the garbage every day was ok. Getting screwed with ALL the field day on Sunday nights bothered me a little, but I figured, "Eh, I can do it." It was SUGGESTED that I could handle ALL the stripping & waxing our floor once a month or so, but I pointed out that there needs to be at least 2 for that job, and if I have to handle a 911, who's that going to leave? Now added to the rest of my janitorial duties I get to sweep every night...

So you can imagine my stupidvisor's surprise when I asked if her, or the other dispatchers hands were broken...

2 comments:

  1. Gawd - I *hate* to throw out the "it's not my job" statement when I'm working... but damn, they're pushing you a bit too far.

    Really? I thought your job was supposed to be something along the lines of a dispatcher - not a janitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, jeez....that's just so not cool. Did they want you to do windows too? [[hugs]] And leaving aside the issue of what would happen to your stupidvisor's job if you got injured doing a job that certainly isn't in your job description...what on earth is she smoking?

    Are all four kids with Derrick now? Regardless, I think you did the right thing, as hard as it has to be.

    I won't be around on Sunday, but I'll be in and out on Saturday if you want to call/vent/whine scream. :)

    -K.

    ReplyDelete