Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Kitty, A Snake, and Me...


I'm trying to post a picture of the Station Cat. Her name is Gato (Hey! I didn't name her...) She walked into the station about 2 years ago tired, hungry & feral. Some military family moved to a new duty station, and left her. The firefighters earned her trust, fed her, caught her & got her spayed by way of station donations, and now she's our "mascot". Most fire stations have a dalmation dog, but WE have a dalmation cat!!!
And while I'm on an animal kick... Last night I got ready as per my usual routine, and as I was walking out to my car I happened to look down & notice... "Hey! That doesn't look like a stick? Wait a sec.. it just moved!" Upon closer examination... it was a SNAKE!!! After I got to work, I did a quick search, and it was a Shovel-Nose Snake. They're harmless to humans, and are very solitary. So I continued on my way as did the snake. Thank the GAWDS it wasn't a poisonous snake because, ISYN, it wasn't more than 5 inches from my foot... Now if my mom had seen it... You would've thought we were being invaded by aliens that way she would've started to scream. I'm not scared of snakes by any means, but this just drove home the point that I live in the desert, and these are the critters that lived here first....


3 comments:

  1. Dude. I love Gato (though that does bring to mind a rather grisly children's song I learned many moons ago---google "Senor Don Gato" and you'll see what I mean. :)

    LOL on the snake story---at least you have the sense to recognize Good Snake from Bad Snake. My grandmother used to just kill them all. Then wondered why her farm was getting overrun with rodents. Hmmm. I can't imagine. :-P People really are amazing creatures....

    -K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute kitty. Has she become "people friendly" and loving & snuggly with the folk in the station?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To a degree. She would come up, steal some scritches, and then be on her way. When I was feeding her is when she was the most generous with her attention. If I left the comm center door open, she would come in and crash under one of the dispatch consoles. Especially during the winter when it got freezing cold.

      Delete